Monday, May 26, 2008

Food Allergies and "The Terrible Twos!"


Well...I got the results back from my food allergy test on Friday and I have to say that I was quite disappointed!  It turns out that I have several acquired food allergies and it is no wonder that I have felt so terrible for almost a year now.  Almost everything I eat contains one of these ingredients.  My top 4...yeast (brewers and bakers), sugar (I know!  this one is the worst), wheat, and whey protein which is in milk and other dairy products.  You must be thinking, "What is left to eat?"  Well, I can have any fruit, veggie, meat, nut, eggs and several other grains like oats, corn, rice, spelt, buckwheat, barley.  I can also have chocolate, but not sugar...someone figure that one out for me and coffee (which I don't really drink much of) and some hard cheese like cheddar, soy products or goats milk (hmmmm).  I can sweeten things with honey and pure maple syrup and I can use carob as a chocolate substitute. Here is the good news though...I do not have any life long allergies.  Because all of my allergies are acquired, I will eventually be able to add these foods back and hopefully my body will begin to tolerate them again.  Initially, I have to go off of all of them for a period of time (3-6 months) and then slowly add in one at a time and see how I feel.  So if anyone has any really great sugar free, wheat free, dairy free recipes...send them my way.  I am going to experiment with some cookie, muffin, and smoothy recipes I found on line.  

On to the next topic...The Terrible Twos...

My precious little Micah who loves to snuggle has turned a corner and we are just praying that this is a short phase that he is going through.  This whole weekend he has gone on a pushing and hitting rampage.  It started with him pushing Jacob every so often last week and then on Saturday I must have put him in time out over 20 times.  It seemed that every time I let him get out (after having him show me what "nice" is ... he rubs his hand gently on our cheek and says, "nice")  he would run over, with this devious little brother look in his eye, and push Jacob again.  Time outs did not seem to be very effective, but consistency is key right?  
Sunday was a disaster! I put Micah in his class at church after warning the teacher that he has had a tough weekend and telling her to page me if anything happened.  About 3/4 of the way through the service I was feeling pretty encouraged that I hadn't been paged and was singing a worship song when I felt a tap tap on my shoulder, "sorry to interrupt, but Micah is having some trouble."  Oh no...I get to his class to hear that he has pushed 3 kids in a row and I am mortified.  Then as I stand there talking to one of the nursery workers, he walks over and shoves a little girl super hard.  She cries of course and I take Micah out...feeling like the worst mom in the world, my cheeks hot and not sure what to do with this defiant little 2 year old who has become the class bully.  I have to say that I have been humbled in so many ways since becoming a parent and am just clinging to what the Lord spoke to me this weekend through James 1...I am asking for wisdom for how to deal with Micah in the way that is most effective for who he is.  And I am believing that He will give me the wisdom I need for each circumstance that comes.  Feel free to pray for a softening of little Micah's heart and a receptiveness to
 discipline.  He is such a sweet little boy and I don't want him to be labeled as trouble.  

2 comments:

Dana said...

Oh man Ker...what a week. NO sugar (or almost anything else for that matter..) and a two year old that is testing you...

You are a GREAT mom Ker! You can't forget that, the questions that you are asking proves that. This is a season and you are helping your boys turn into men! I am so proud of you and the way you invest in your little ones!!!

I love you and miss you so much!
It could be worse...cheese could be $75...hehehe and that is one of the food you can eat so that would stink!

Erica said...

Uuhh just came out of the hardest year of my life with Adiah my middle child. She weighed 21lbs as a two year old and had five year olds cowering in the corner. She is a major brute and nothing seemed to get through to her. Not the greatest pastor's kid quality to have. I can say she turned three in April and it was the weirdest thing. A light bulb went on in her head. So don't give up consistency is the key. Hang in there. You are not alone.